[LINK] RFC: Web 2.0

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Fri Nov 24 13:14:45 AEDT 2006

On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 12:05:07PM +1100, Eric Scheid wrote:
> On 24/11/06 11:25 AM, "Craig Sanders" <cas at taz.net.au> wrote:
>
> >> I would presume it would be someone who didn't have a PDA nor their own
> >> server, but still wanted to be able to access their todo list from a
> >> variety of locations / computers (such as both from work and from home)
> >> and who was wanting to put information on there that didn't particularly
> >> matter should the privacy policy prove objectionable.
> >
> > what's wrong with storing your todo list on a USB flash drive?  usable at
> > work, home, or wherever else you happen to be.
>
> In line at the bank? Standing on a windy city corner trying decide which
> route to take home?

i already mentioned PDAs and other hand-held devices such as
mobile phones. they are the perfect device for todo list/appt
diary/calendar/notebook/shopping list/etc applications. i.e. simple, Q&D
databases.

there are flash memory devices which can work in a USB-equipped computer
(i.e. all of them these days), a PDA, and a mobile phone (which mostly
tend to have the basic functions of a PDA built in). as long as the data
is in some non-propietrary format, applications on any device can access
and manipulate the data.

(and as a practical matter, using stupidly overpriced mobile internet to
access or update a todo list or shopping list doesn't make any sense).

> That's one mighty fancy USB flash drive.

why?  are flash drives affected by the wind in some magical way?

> And how would you be able to share and coordinate your to do list with the
> people you care about?

by exporting your data to them in some standardised format (xml perhaps).

it can easily be done without also giving your private data to some
company which obviously intends selling your data (and that of many
other users) to be their primary asset for their exit strategy.

> You might as well just scribble notes on bits of paper you stick into
> your wallet.

that works too. it certainly works for me when i go to the supermarket.
i have a PDA but scraps of paper are quicker and less stuffing about.

the high-tech solution isn't necessarily the best solution.

> > you can even keep a copy of the program on the flash drive too - and
> > there are dozens of free ones to chose from, so you don't even have to
> > worry about software license problems.
>
> OK, you have a problem with hosted services, and prefer installing the
> equivalent application on hardware I your control.

yes, i do.  losing control of your data is something that should be avoided.

> This is an entirely orthogonal argument and tantamount to a trolling.

no, it's neither orthogonal nor trolling. what happens to your data is
always a concern with web based services.

> <plonk>.

so, do you have some connection with the site concerned? or the people
running it?

why else would you take such offence at someone pointing out obvious
problems with the technology AND the model. people NEED to know that
there are serious privacy implications when they grant others control
over their data. if they still decide to use the service when in full
possession of the facts, then fine - that's their choice....but relying
on their ignorance to get their consent is wrong.

technology has risks, and people need to know what those risks are if
they are going to make intelligent and fully-informed choices about it.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>           (part time cyborg)