[LINK] Fwd: vip-l: US permits phone-cracking and DVD copying exemptions to copyright law.

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Sun Nov 26 09:02:08 AEDT 2006

Jan Whitaker wrote:

>> US permits phone-cracking and DVD copying exemptions to copyright law.
>> >

>> >Thursday 23rd November 2006
>> >PC Pro - London,UK
>> >

>> >The US Library of Congress has approved a record number of exemptions
>> >to copyright laws, granting permission for film and media studies
>> >professors to crack DVD discs' DRM and for breaking software locks on
>> mobile phones.
>> >
>> >In total, the Librarian of Congress, James H Billington has granted six
>> >exemptions, the most ever, and for the first time has exempted groups
>> >of users en masse, including phone recyclers and people working on
>> >computer security.

Given all the "harmonisation" that has taken place to help us "fit" into
the AUSFTA, can we expect the adoption of similar exemptions here in Australia?

cheers
rickw

--
Rick Welykochy || Praxis Services

I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State.  My idea is
that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them
together is certain death.
      -- George Carlin