[LINK] ACMA document on Comms Services

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Mon Nov 27 10:57:55 AEDT 2006

There was a very useful document in the satchel for the ACMA
'Communications Information Entertainment' conference at the Canberra
Hyatt last Thu-Fri 23-24 Nov 06:

'Communications Services Availability in Australia 2005-06'
November 2006, c. 60 pp.
http://www.acma.gov.au/ACMAINTER.1507598:STANDARD::pc=PC_100215

It covers all the wired and unwired standards and networks, and
because it's techno-factual the text is largely free of political
bureaucratese (i.e. it seemed unlikely to the authors and their
bosses that either the Minister's advisors or the populist media
would ever read it, so it wasn't necessary to invest the usual
agonising care into the expression).

Footnote re the conference audience:

Although it was mixed business and government, the government people
must have dominated the 300-400 registrants.

When I got up, I told them what the cricket score had been 20 minutes
earlier (with Ponting chasing his ton), and asked for any advance on
that.

Not one person could (and was prepared to) tell us the current score.

I chastised them for being at a 'Communications Information
Entertainment' conference but not applying the technologies they were
talking about.

--
Roger Clarke                  http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong