[LINK] Leave on, or turn off?

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Thu Nov 30 16:12:32 AEDT 2006

Stewart Fist wrote:
> Thanks to all for the rash of anecdotes -- they have helped me clarify the
> question, although I'm still dubious about many of the answers.

fair enough

> Do people accept that a manufacturer's MTBF is something devised by rigorous
> testing rather than a figure invented by the only mathematically-literate
> spin-doctor in the PR department.

MTBF is probably a real issue in the engineering quality department and
important for the reputation of the manufacturer.

<snip>
> 3 Do hard-disks wear out faster when they are constantly accessed ?  Or is
> the life-span set purely by running time, irrespective of actual usage.
..

again this is probably something in the engineering/quality department -
factors would include whether the disk is being read or written etc.

--
Marghanita da Cruz
http://www.ramin.com.au/