[LINK] RFID in Govt, and in People

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Wed Oct 4 07:55:51 AEST 2006

At 11:17 AM 3/10/2006, Kim Holburn wrote:
>I have thought for a while that Libraries would be a great use. for
>RFID  A reader at the door would mean you would just have to walk out
>with the books and the library could automatically check them out to
>you!  Also staff could locate a miscatalogued book much more easily
>than now.

That is exactly what is being done. Melbourne Uni has had it for a few
years now. And the purpose: reshelving and putting books back that students
stashed to help them on exams and disadvantage others.  At least that is
what I was told they were doing when I was working there on a different
contract at the time. After reading the other postings on this thread, I'm
not sure how successful it is/was.

Jan

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed, there is
no plant.' - JW, April 2005