[LINK] Re: RFID in Govt, and in People

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Thu Oct 5 09:23:34 AEST 2006

Geoffrey Ramadan wrote:
> Can someone please explain what the "additional" privacy issues are that
> relate to RFID in library applications. i.e. what are the additional
> privacy concerns that are not already covered with in a library system?
>
> As far as I am aware, the RFID label on a book is simply a book ID
> number. There is no personal information attached to it, and is simply
> replacing the existing barcode that is used.
>
> The key point I got from the URL is:
>
> "It can be extremely difficult for Australian libraries to accurately
> gauge the risks to the privacy of their borrowers in the context of
> rhetoric which at times borders on the hysterical and is often
> misinformed."

Perhaps the key point with privacy, is that a lot of data is collected
and could be matched at a later date.  Local Libraries are run by
coucils, they require bookings against your library card for Internet
Access. I was recently told that my local library had a new computer
system so they were collecting a few more details to fill in the blanks...

Roger, could perhaps comment on how well informed Local Councils are on
Privacy. Many borrowers are children and it is not usually a Librarian
doing the data collection.

Marghanita

<snip>

--