[LINK] RFID in Govt, and in People

Geoff Ramadan gramadan at umd.com.au
Thu Oct 5 11:36:29 AEST 2006

Tom Worthington wrote:
> At 10:09 AM 10/3/2006, Roger Clarke wrote:
>> ... [If anyone has any knowledge about what BAH thinks the 21
>> departments think they plan on doing with RFID, a posting to the list,
>> or an off-list note to me, would be appreciated.  There are a few
>> potential applications, e.g. in Defence Materiel ...
>
> Two Defence examples are:
>
> * "A Request For Tender For The Provision of Australian Defence
> Organisation (ADO) Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) Systems
> Analysis." Number:  RFT-COOD/1605/2/0003 Closing Date:  29 Mar 2005
> <https://www.tenders.gov.au/federal/shared/rftdetail.cfm?p_id=977&p_criteria=RFT%2DCOOD%2F1605%2F2%2F0003&p_advert=1>
>

> * "To Provide Maintenance Support For RFID Enabled ADFITV Capability.
> ... To Track And Manage Australian Defence Force (ADF) Stores In Transit
> ..." RFT COO-MISD/6134/2/10, 06 Feb 2006
> <https://www.tenders.gov.au/federal/shared/rftdetail.cfm?p_id=2146&p_criteria=RFT%20COO%2DMISD%2F6134%2F2%2F10&p_advert=1>
>

> A web search for "RFID" found for Australian government "gov.au" web sites:
>
> Vic:      852
> Qld:      191
> NSW:      100
> WA:         62
> SA:         54
> NT:         48
> DCITA:   45
> Defence: 31
> Tas:       19
> ACT:         9
> Total:  2,080
>
>> but most agencies don't actually do the kinds of physical things any
>> more that RFID is potentially useful for] ...
>
> Yes. Having attended the CSIRO RFID reading group
> <http://www.ict.csiro.au/staff/Michael.Sheng/rfid-reading.htm>, I think
> I see what this is about. RFID applications range from simple
> replacements for barcodes in stock control, through digital wallet
> e-commerce applications to smart sensor networks.
>
> Mostly of the interest seems to not be generated by the RFID technology
> itself, it is more about standardizing business processes and having a
> glamorous sounding technology as an excuse to get funding to redo your
> IT system.

It should never be about the technology, but what you can do with it.

People that think this have missed the whole point about RFID, especially if
they think that RFID as simply a barcode replacement and excuse to get funding.

RFID is the sensory input to intelligent software. In order for "systems" to
become intelligent (ie. make decisions) then it needs to "sense" the real world.

Originally this was from "keyboard input", then "barcoding", next "RFID"
followed by "RFID Sensors".

Its about eliminating human operators and automating data capture, and allowing
users to go about their daily business, without having to hold a "barcode scanner".

There are efficiencies to be had in the supply chain, of which RFID (and
barcoding) is the enabling technology. In order to achieve this across the whole
supply chain, you need to standardise on processes and synchronise data. Hence
there is a lot of work being done in this area.

Regards

Geoffrey Ramadan, B.E.(Elec)
Chairman, Automatic Data Capture Australia (www.adca.com.au)
and