[LINK] New ICT Statistics

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Fri Oct 6 09:16:46 AEST 2006

I attended the ABS ICT Reference Group meeting this week, with
representatives from government agencies and the industry to hear
what new statistics were out and for ABS to hear what we might like
them to do next. Report at
<http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2006/10/ict-reference-group-meeting.html>.
Some highlights:

* BUSINESS USE OF TECHNOLOGY 2004-05: Shows business has taken up
broadband. Proportion of businesses taking orders over the Internet
is steady but the value of orders increased significantly.

* INTERNET ACTIVITY SURVEY, JUNE 2006: Covered 90% of Internet
subscribers. Shows dial-up is dropping off and broadband is being
taken up. DSL is the most popular access method. ...

* ICT INDUSTRY SURVEY 2004-05: Recent survey shows an industry with
244,238 employees and a $87B income. Computer consultants was the
largest employer ...

* CHANGES IN INTERNET ACTIVITY SURVEY (IAS): Will cover larger ISPs
in more detail to reduce cost and burden on smaller ISPs. Will ask
about VoIP. ...

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                http://www.tomw.net.au/
Director, ACS Communications Tech Board   http://www.acs.org.au/ctb/
Visiting Fellow, ANU      Blog: http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/atom.xml