[LINK] Airport to tag passengers

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Tue Oct 17 09:20:48 AEST 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-17 at 00:16 +1000, Geoffrey Ramadan wrote:
> > I guess I see it like this.  Government and Industry avoided
> > responsibility for the safety of not only passengers, but thousands of
> > people who were killed in 911.
> And now they are trying to take responsibility.

No - now they are trying to be *seen* to take responsibility. In fact
this is mostly expensive PR - like looking for your keys under the
streetlight, because the light is better there....

> > I see that the reality is, you can't stop a bomb or attack taking
> > place, if it's already happened or happening.
>
> so we should stop trying?

No - but you should realistically put your money where it might actually
do some good, and NOT spend it on things that CANNOT be any practical
use. And also maybe try to come to some real, considered position on the
trade off of civil liberties against real safety, rather than spending
civil liberties like water too...

> > A Terrorists isn't going to have an RFID on them!  DUH!
> You could track by exception.

Um, no, actually you can't. Not if people are permitted not to take
part, and not in a world where RFID chips might be defective. You can't
allow the RFID chip to take the place of the person.

The whole proposed system ha all the hallmarks - again! - of having been
given not even the most cursory glance by people who actually know what
they are talking about in the security world.

Regards, K.