[LINK] Human species 'may split in two'

Frank O'Connor foconnor at ozemail.com.au
Wed Oct 18 22:27:53 AEST 2006

Mmmm ... the idea of history, and/or evolution, proceeding in a nice
predictable way is laughable.

Strange how every civilisation inks a spot for itself as the crowning
achievement of mankind - but when push comes to shove it doesn't take
a lot to tip the balance.

Mycanean society: "OK Guys, we're top of the heap. We've got those
Trojan bozos licked. And with bronze, we're on the top of the
technology tree. Hey ... What could go wrong?" WHANG! Thera blows its
top, whole societies are wiped out (Minoa, Crete, the Hittite Empire
and a host of coastal cities - even Egypt is almost destroyed) in the
conflagration, weather patterns change big-time and crops fails
setting off a series of mass migrations and wars, and those nasty
Dorian tribes made a move south for some time in the sun ... with
their ugly grey metal swords, shields and spear tips.

OK ... back to the drawing board.

The Egyptian make their play of the day with the New Kingdom. They
kick out the Hyksos (Hittite rowdies probably) and with three hundred
years of military expansion and making cunning deals reach the zenith
of their power. "You don't mess with those Egyptians, Old Son ...
they got chariots and cavalry you wouldn't believe, a huge army, and
a stable population that goes back 2000 odd years.  They're the most
successful civilisation in history. What could go wrong?" WHANG!
Thera explodes. They partially recover. After a couple of Pharoanic
disasters Egypt sinks back into civil war, the Upper and Lower
Kingdoms fragment, pretenders to the throne arise in Nubia, Libya and
other havens of barbarity ... and in the final disaster some hoon
from Macdedonia named Big Al brings his lads to the party and they're
ruled by the Greeks for the next four or five hundred years.

After the Mycanean disaster, the Greeks and Phoenicians take off in a
big way. They morph into a number of City States (Athens, Tyre,
Carthage et alia), fight over various beachfront real estate, and in
the Greek case even fight amongst themselves a heap. Those Persian
rowdies try to make a killing in the Greek property market and fail
... but finally there's only two real Meditteranean powers left.
"Right Guys ... this time we got it licked. A Golden Age is about to
occur." WHANG! Athens gets itself into the Pelopponesian War and is
pretty much decimated as a sea power, the Greek states are hammered
.. until Phil and his mates in Macedonia take over and his son
decides to monster the rest of the world for the ensuing 15 years
before carking it in the East.

The Phoenicians and Carthage? "Hey, who could challenge Carthage -
the city state of merchant princes - especially after the Greeks blew
their chances in the Pelopponesian thingie. Yeah sure there's these
Latin mobsters living in some no-account city on the Italian
peninsula ... but hey, they're just farmers and no account artisans.
Everything they make or do is a poor copy of what those Greek bozos
do - we don't even want to trade with them for their garbage. Besides
that, we have the greatest navy in the world ... how could we lose?"
WHANG! In three consecutive wars (even with probably the greatest
general in history on their side in the second one) the Romans first
learned to become a seapower and defeated the Carthaginian navy, then
obliterated Carthage on land at Zama in the second one, and finally
sacked and utterly destroyed the city about 50 years after that.

The Romans also probably thought it was all going to go on
undisturbed forever, the game was theirs. WHANG! Fall of Rome, the
nasty Dark Ages thingie, and some serious long term (six hundred
years of it) aggravation that must've spoilt a few weekends on the
farm.

History is littered with whole civilisations that were destroyed at
their so-called peak. Implying that it (or evolution based on current
trends) are in any way predictable is the height of lunacy.

Restrospect ... you gotta love it.

						Regards,