[LINK] Human species 'may split in two'

Grant Malcolm gmalcolm at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Thu Oct 19 00:00:19 AEST 2006

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Kimberley Heitman wrote:
>> The descendants of the genetic upper class would be tall, slim, healthy,
>> attractive, intelligent, and creative and a far cry from the
>> "underclass" humans who would have evolved into dim-witted, ugly, squat
>> goblin-like creatures.
>> [...]
>>
>> --
>> Howard.
>
> I think the word is "trolls". They will be pale, shifty creatures who will
> do our menial tasks (like register domain names). The genetic upper class
> will complain about them while sipping café lattes or chardonnay.

Or, to continue and clarify the Wellsian link from the original article,
Morlocks?

Contrary to the suggestion in the article, Wells' endpoint wasn't a
dim-witted underclass but degeneraton of both species:

***

In the year AD 802,701, humanity has evolved into two separate species:
the Eloi and the Morlocks. The Eloi are the rich, attractive upper class
which lives in luxury on the surface of the earth while the Morlocks live
underground, tending machinery and providing food, clothing and
infrastructure for the Eloi. Each class evolved (or degenerated) from
different social classes as humans, a theme that reflects upon Wells'
sociopolitical opinions.

[...]

The main difference from their earlier ruler-worker state is that while
the Morlocks continue to support the world's infrastructure and serve the
Eloi, the Eloi have undergone significant physical and mental
deterioration. Having solved all problems which required strength,
intelligence or virtue, they have slowly become dissolute, frail idiots.
While one initially has the impression that the Eloi live a life of play
and toilless abundance, it is revealed that the Morlocks are tending to
the Eloi's needs for the same reason a farmer tends to cattle - because
the Eloi comprise most (if not all) of the Morlock diet and the Eloi are
no longer capable of acting in any other role.

***

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eloi

Cheerful bloke, Wells.

Cheers