[LINK] RFID Tagging of Children

Geoffrey Ramadan gramadan at umd.com.au
Wed Oct 25 00:09:05 AEST 2006

Richard Chirgwin wrote:
> Geoffrey Ramadan wrote:
>> Jan Whitaker wrote:
>>> Others please jump in here.

>>> That is the choice of the individual, I reckon. I may choose to risk
>>> 'safety' to retain an ability to travel without being surveilled.
>>> The comparison here is a straw man because we have already agreed it
>>> is a dumb system and wouldn't achieve the goal anyway. The bargain
>>> is a no brainer. I won't trade my privacy for a smoke and mirrors
>>> promise of something that won't be delivered. The exchange is
>>> unbalanced.
>>>
>>> In other circumstances the choice must be maintained. For example,
>>> tagging children may be acceptable to some paranoid parents. But
>>> others would never subject their children to being cattle (e-sheep,
>>> given the latest stories from the agriculture arena).
>>>

>> If I can digress here and relay a real requirement proposed to us:
>> a) Organisation A - is running a large event with minors (mainly
>> under 18) (no parents, only supervisors)
>> b) Organisation A - wants efficient system to ensure its duty of care
>> obligations are met
>> In particular
>> - Ensuring all Minors go and return from various day events
>> - Ensuring "correct" parents pick up minors
>> Also, system required to
>> - Ensure food rations supplied
>> - Any special dietary requirements noted and observed
>> - Able to look up any health needs in case of emergency.
>>
>> Our customer wanted to supply RFID tags to the minors for the
>> duration of the event.
>> Would anyone have any issues in this provided the principles outlines
>> in:
>> http://www.privacy.gov.au/news/media/03_17.html
>> were followed?
>>
>> As a parent, would you object to this?
> I won't add to the already-detailed analysis from Karl, but from the
> parental point of view. Tags as meal counters? - it would collapse at
> the first mealtime:
I didn't detail it, but it is only used for the issue of initial
rations. It purpose of course is to ensure all correct rations are
issued, not to micro-manage meal time.

It is not used at each meal time.

> - "I didn't know you had to bring it!"
It would be supplied as a waterproof wristband.

> - "I don't care what your computer says, I am a vegetarian!"
> - "Are you sure there's no chilli in this?"
> - "Is that all we get?"
> ...and so on. Only a first-class idiot would try and micro-manage the
> feeding of any large event, and the idea of tagging as the basis for
> feeding sounds like micro-management to me...
> It makes me suspect that Organisation A has the idea that if it can
> spend a few dollars on the technology, it can slim down the number of
> supervisors...
It is a large logistical problem..... there are several thousand people
involved.

Reg

Geoffrey Ramadan B.E.(Elec)
Chairman, Automatic Data Capture Association (www.adca.com.au)