[LINK] grammar nazis

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Thu Oct 26 15:37:59 AEST 2006

On 26/10/2006, at 2:30 PM, Pilcher, Fred wrote:

> Kim asked:
>
>> This is for those interested in grammar out there:  what do
>> you think
>> of this?
>
> I think the incorrect use of the apostrophe is an abomination in
> the eyes of gods and man and its perpetrators should be smitten. Or
> smited. Whichever you prefer.

We should therefore smite all greengrocers.

(ref. Lynne Truss's 'Eats, shoots and leaves', or Bill Bryson's
'Troublesome Words')

See also http://www.apostrophe.fsnet.co.uk/ (Apostrophe Protection
Society) or http://www.dace.co.uk/apostrophe.htm.

> I'm ambivalent about the use of "acronym" for abbreviations.

I'm intrigued that the computing profession has taken up acronyms so
widely, and that of recursive acronyms (or initialisms). Sometimes
known as the RAS syndrome (Redundant Acronym Syndrome syndrome).
Companies like SAAB should be smitten for the same reason, and anyone
who says 'PIN number'...

iT