[LINK] question re mobile phone tracking

Geoffrey Ramadan gramadan at umd.com.au
Sun Oct 29 13:21:13 AEDT 2006

Jan

NO

It can only be tracked if the phone is ON. From my understanding, the
phone needs to communicate to a Base Station it's ID. The Mobile network
needs to know which cell the mobile phone is associated with in order to
know where to route any phone calls.

This does not mean it knows its location, only which network cell it is in.

However, I know Telstra has been working on "location based services".
With this service, you can identify the rough location of the mobile
phone. I don't know if this means that they can locate a phone at will,
and I suspect it requires base station modifications so it may not be
ubiquitous.

Reg
Geoffrey Ramadan B.E.(Elec)
Chairman, Automatic Data Capture Association (www.adca.com.au)