[LINK] question re mobile phone tracking

Geoffrey Ramadan gramadan at umd.com.au
Sun Oct 29 19:05:20 AEDT 2006

Antony Barry wrote:

> On 29/10/2006, at 1:21 PM, Geoffrey Ramadan wrote:
>
>> It can only be tracked if the phone is ON. From my understanding, the
>> phone needs to communicate to a Base Station it's ID. The Mobile
>> network needs to know which cell the mobile phone is associated with
>> in order to know where to route any phone calls.
>>
>> This does not mean it knows its location, only which network cell it
>> is in.
>
> I presume this is done by triangulation?
No - I believe the phone looks at signal strength, and responds to the
Base station which has the greatest signal strength.

In regards to Telstra Location Based Services, I am not sure what
technique they use.

> If so you need the phone to be received at three stations and the time
> delay differences to be compared? If you were tracking position
> continuously I guess you could do two stations as the two point
> ambiguity in the intersection of two circles would be resolved by
> looking at the movement over time.
This is one technique you can use. Another is to compare signal strength
between base stations

Geoffrey Ramadan