[LINK] Microsoft MD to chair govt ICT advisory board

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Sun Sep 3 11:20:06 AEST 2006

At 10:25 AM 3/09/2006, Brenda Aynsley wrote:

>I think we have to expect that there is still a lot of work to be done to
>increase awareness of alternatives and the folks at Linux Australia are
>gaining traction in that regard along with the Open Source Industry Australia.

That is good to hear, Brenda, Vamos being a good guy. I guess my point was
that it is dangerous to equate ICT with using a PC! There is a HUGE
industry of other aspects that must be represented in the definition. And,
it's not just hardware (T) and infrastructure.

The I = Information is often overlooked or just treated as 'software', when
it, too, is a much broader area. Content is as much part of the ICT world,
or should be, else there is no reason for the T or C (communications
channels). Structuring, preserving, presenting, etc that content should be
an area of contribution to economic growth as it is about as 'clean' and
'low water' an enterprise as you can get. And the research minds are here
to address it. I don't know the companies represented on the panel to be
able to tell if these Information interests are represented. Maybe Canon is
one that does.

Jan

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed, there is
no plant.' - JW, April 2005