[LINK] RFI: Multi-User Capability on User Machines

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Mon Sep 4 16:43:07 AEST 2006

Chris's post makes clear to me that I still haven't been precise
enough in the way I've formulated my question.  (This is harder than
I thought!).

I'm not concerned about whether users can be running concurrently.

I'm concerned about whether separate users, using the machine at
different times, can rest assured that their data is secure against
the prying eyes of others who have access to the machine.

One test-case is siblings in the same household.  Can Big Sis avoid
her love-letters being accessed by Kid Brother?

Another, more relevant test-case is flatmates in the same household.
Can each flatmate establish their own relationships with, for
example, eBay and Amazon, confident that their profiles (server-side)
and cookies (client-side) won't be polluted by their flatmates using
the machine?

Clearly this depends upon Big Sis and Flatulent Flatmate religiously
logging out every time they leave the machine.

But if they do so, can they be confident that their profiles and
cookies are inviolate?

I'm intentionally overlooking those with super-user privileges on the
device (or their equivalent in other-OS-speak), and seriously smart
operators who can fire up the disk-drive on a different machine and
extract whatever they want from it.

--
Roger Clarke                  http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong