[LINK] RFI: Multi-User Capability on User Machines

grove at zeta.org.au grove at zeta.org.au
Mon Sep 4 17:58:06 AEST 2006

On Mon, 4 Sep 2006, Roger Clarke wrote:

> I'm trying to phrase a short statement about when multi-user
> capability became available on PCs.
>
> The draft says:
>
> "Devices running Unix and its variant Linux have supported multiple
> users since long before the Internet became available.  Devices
> running Mac OSX (which is a version of Unix) have done so since early
> 2001.  Devices running the dominant MS Windows system have done so
> only since XXXX.".
>
> Can anyone nail for me the date and version of Windows that delivered
> the feature on end-user machines?

DOS actually had support for multiuser environments, before Windows.

CDOS was available from 1987 according to the below:

http://www.answers.com/topic/multiuser-dos

Windows was actually a step backwards....

--
Rachel Polanskis                 Kingswood, Greater Western Sydney, Australia
grove at zeta.org.au                http://www.zeta.org.au/~grove/grove.html