[LINK] web site choices.

Kim Davies kim at cynosure.com.au
Wed Sep 6 13:00:21 AEST 2006

Quoting Lea de Groot on Wednesday September 06, 2006:

| >.asn.au was created to replace .org.au, and there's no point in doing
| >that if .org.au registrations are still being processed.
|
| Ah, is that what it is for? I always wondered why they seemed so similar.
| I hopeless cause, I would suggest, when .asn.au is dearer than .org.au

.asn.au wasn't created to replace .org.au, rather supplement it given
that .org.au's service levels were deteriorating and unpredictable.
.org.au was specifically stipulated to be a "catch-all" for any
registration that did not fit within another 2LD. Prior to .asn.au that
was primarily non-profits, however .asn.au was created specifically for
associations and like-minded bodies.

The reason for the pricing disparity now is in the tender process
conducted by auDA to operate key 2LDs (.com.au, .net.au, .org.au,
.asn.au and .id.au), the successful bidder threw in as a sweetener
discriminated pricing what was lower for .org.au. It is probably worth
noting the original bidding was in an environment when there are a large
ruckus about how .org.au should have been made a free registry.

kim
(involved in running asn.au until auDA took over a few years ago)