[LINK] Digital scholar's workbench, ANU, 13 Sep 2006

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Fri Sep 8 08:55:08 AEST 2006

If you are interested in e-documents, XML tools, digital repositories
and all that stuff, then do not miss this talk by Ian Barnes
<http://cecs.anu.edu.au/seminars/showone.pl?SID=257>.

He used the tools he will be talking about to produce the
accompanying paper in PDF and HTML
<http://www.apsr.edu.au/publications/preservation_of_word_processing_documents.html>.

---
DCS SEMINAR SERIES

Preservation of Word Processing Documents and the Digital Scholar's Workbench
Ian Barnes, DCS (ANU)

DATE: 2006-09-13
TIME: 16:00:00 - 17:00:00
LOCATION: CSIT Seminar Room, N101, Computer Science and Information
Technology Building, ANU, Canberra

ABSTRACT:
Word processing documents are a problem for digital repositories. As
they are not suitable for long-term storage, they need to be
converted into an archival format for preservation. Seems simple, but
behind this lie serious questions about work practices. How do we get
authors to convert and deposit their work? I believe part of the
answer lies in bundling conversion and deposit with other features
into an online environment that brings together many useful
document-related services in the one place. I will demonstrate an
early prototype of this digital scholar's workbench, and discuss
planned further developments.

BIO: Ian Barnes is a lecturer in the Department of Computer Science.
He recently completed a one-year secondment to Digital Resource
Services in the Division of Information, where he worked on
preservation of word-processing documents for the DEST-funded
Australian Partnership for Sustainable Repositories.
---

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                http://www.tomw.net.au/
Director, ACS Communications Tech Board   http://www.acs.org.au/ctb/
Visiting Fellow, ANU      Blog: http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/atom.xml