[LINK] Moved to Linux

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Mon Sep 11 12:29:52 AEST 2006

On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 10:08:45AM +1000, Richard Chirgwin wrote:
> >That doesn't sound right to me.  Thunderbird profiles should be
> >somewhere in your home directory owned by you.  There should be no
> >profiles anywhere else owned by root.
>
> The profiles go in .usr/lmail/thunderbird/ or something very like it ...
> while .usr is in the user's directory, it's owned by root as the default
> installation (in fact, in the default it's also a hidden directory - you
> have to work out how to view it).

this is another reason why Linspire was a bad choice - it has extremely
weird ways of doing things that bear little or no relationship to the
way linux (and unix) systems have been doing it for years. directory
structures and locations of files for instance. spend time getting
used to linspire rather than a more 'traditional' *nix and you'll be
just as stuck in their world as you were in windows. it's linux-based,
obviously, but it's trying very hard to be as unlike any other
linux/unix around as it possible can. this, IMO, was an extremely
misguided (indeed, broken) design decision on the part of linspire.

> This is I suppose a "protect the newbie" thing, but it had me confused
> for a while.

this is the same moronic and irritating attitude of patronising the user
and treating them with contempt that MS Windows has.

> Replying to a couple of other posts, without particularly remembering
> who to quote:
> - I haven't worked out where fast user switching is to be found in
> Linspire. This won't worry me most of the time as there's only a single
> user account anyhow.

edit the gdm (or kdm or xdm or whichever display manager is used
by linspire) config to run another login screen on another virtual
terminal. you can login as one user on one VT and another user on the
other. switch between the two as needed. you can set up gdm to run as
many login screens as you might need.

alternatively, switch to a text VT, login as whatever user, and run
"startx".

> - Linspire instead of Ubuntu: for the drivers. The primary user of
> this machine is my wife; she mostly uses it for work, and so my own
> "comfort zone" is that I don't have to try and diagnose "something
> isn't working" over the phone.

it sounds like (for printers at least), it has less drivers than debian
and ubuntu come standard with.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>           (part time cyborg)