[LINK] What does Google Books allow you to download?

Graham Greenleaf graham at austlii.edu.au
Mon Sep 11 16:53:29 AEST 2006

At 4:38 PM +1000 11/9/06, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
>Ok,
>
>could you provide a link to an example of what you are talking about?

Search for Tom Paine (no quotes) over Full View Books. Compare first
two results:

The Works of Thomas Paine: A Hero in the American Revolution. With an
Account of His Life ... - Page xlviii
by Thomas Paine - 1854

The Theological Works of Thomas Paine: To which are Added the
Profession of Faith of a Savoyard... - Page 192
by Thomas Paine, Jean-Jacques Rousseau - 1834 - 384 pages

The first has a download button, the second does not. Same author,
and the 20 years difference in publication should make no difference
after 150 years.

- Graham

>Graham Greenleaf wrote:
>>Marghanita,
>>
>>Not the point ... 'download' is very different from 'full view':
>>you can actually download and re-use a full copy. With 'full view'
>>you can only read one page at a time, and only then embedded within
>>a non-removable Google page. The difference between 'read only' and
>>'do whatever you like' (except removing Google's watermark).
>>
>>The question is how Google chooses, from all the books in the
>>public domain for which it provides 'full view' which ones it also
>>allows 'download'.
>>
>>- Graham

>>><snip>
>>>
>>>text below is
>>>from<http://books.google.com/intl/en/googlebooks/screenshots.html#fullview>

>>>This book is worth a read and also available on google books...
>>>at
>>><http://books.google.com/books?vid=ISBN0521534267&id=EGwWmEjL6hoC&pg=PA3&lpg=PR7&vq=one+tell&sig=9Na51SsU_kEJfqHjbIfJ3qlhGWI>

>>>--
>>>Marghanita da Cruz
>>>Ramin Communications
>>>http://www.ramin.com.au
>>>Phone: 0414-869202
>>>Email: marghanita at ramin.com.au
>>>

>>>--
>>>This message has been scanned for viruses and
>>>dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
>>>believed to be clean.
>>

>--
>Marghanita da Cruz
>Ramin Communications
>http://www.ramin.com.au
>Phone: 0414-869202
>Email: marghanita at ramin.com.au
>

>--
>believed to be clean.

Graham Greenleaf

Professor of Law
Faculty of Law, University of New South Wales
UNSW SYDNEY NSW 2052  Australia (UNSW CRICOS Provider No: 00098G)
Co-Director, Australasian Legal Information Institute (AustLII)
Co-Director, Cyberspace Law and Policy Centre
General Editor, Privacy Law & Policy Reporter

E-mail: g.greenleaf at unsw.edu.au or graham at austlii.edu.au
Web Pages -  http://www2.austlii.edu.au/~graham/
Legal Scholarship Network (LSN) pages - http://ssrn.com/author=57970
Tel: +61 2 9385 2233 (UNSW) +61 2 9569 5310 (Home)
Fax: +61 2 9385 1175 (UNSW) Office: Room 224, Law Faculty Building, UNSW