[LINK] Moved to Linux

Daniel Rose drose at nla.gov.au
Tue Sep 12 15:24:21 AEST 2006

Something noone else has pointed out is all the stuff ubuntu comes
without.

Because they are 100% free then many proprietry things which have
non-free licenses are not there, such as flash, dvd playback, video
codecs and some graphics drivers.

Accordingly, even after the install, one can run something like one of
these to add the missing pieces.

http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/overview.html

http://www.getautomatix.com/  (works with mepis too)

This is something that linspire does not have a problem with, and their
click and run thing is good too.

Your mail should be stored on an IMAP server somewhere, preferably
yours!

In any case, I have here three brand new original pressing of ubuntu
6.06, for x86, 64-bit x86 and PowerPC (Mac).

It's a liveCD with an "install" icon on the desktop; very very easy.

This is the current release, called LTS (long term support), they
undertake to provide significant support for five years.

If anyone wants a copy, I'll post you one for free or you can order your
own from https://shipit.ubuntu.com/