[LINK] microsoft plays nicely

brd at iimetro.com.au brd at iimetro.com.au
Thu Sep 14 14:07:21 AEST 2006

Quoting Deus Ex Machina <vicc at cia.com.au>:

> microsoft plays nicely
> http://weblog.ipcentral.info/archives/2006/09/microsoft_plays_1.html

I'm not sure I'd trust anything this organisation (The Progress & Freedom
Foundation) puts out without further investigation.

Their website talks about their mission
http://www.pff.org/about/

It starts off with:

"The Progress & Freedom Foundation is a market-oriented think tank that
studies
the digital revolution and its implications for public policy. Its mission is
to educate policymakers, opinion leaders and the public about issues
associated
with technological change, based on a philosophy of limited government, free
markets and individual sovereignty"

But when it gets to its contributions, it is apparent that it has made
a number
of assumptions and positions that it does not justify, but builds upon.

The organisation concentrates on communications and digital content issues,
however, there is a section on energy, specifically:

"Promoting competition in electricity markets, using demand-side, deregulatory
market mechanisms rather than pervasive and costly government regulatory
schemes."

A very strange organisation. The best that can be said for it is that it
publishes the names of its supporters
<http://www.pff.org/about/supporters.html> although it does head the list up
with "includes..." which can hide a multitude of sins

--
Regards
brd

Bernard Robertson-Dunn