[LINK] Open Data Models

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Fri Sep 15 19:29:59 AEST 2006

You know when you say things like this M. Provocateur, I think
perhaps you're a weird right-wing Elisa or perhaps you're just very
young.  How old are you exactly?  Really, sometimes you just have no
clue at all.

I know this will be lost on you and you'll probably make some
comeback that you and your classmates think is very witty but here it
is.

A long time ago, probably before you were born, there were a number,
say around 4 or 5, popular networking systems and protocols.  Almost
all of them were proprietary and expensive.  The protocol that won
out was an open, unencumbered system.  Do you understand why?
Perhaps you should think about it for a while before writing about
stuff.

Perhaps you could think about why one of the big areas of internet
growth in the last few years has been B2B communication.  Do you
understand what that is about?  What use is it to try and communicate
with another business if you are not talking the same language?

On 2006 Sep 15, at 3:42 PM, the Howard spokesmidget spruked:
> brd at iimetro.com.au [brd at iimetro.com.au] wrote:
>> That's software. I'm talking about data models - data definitions,
>> entities,
>> relationships etc, for specific industries.
>>
>> In banking, for instance, how do they define a customer? What is the
>> standard
>> data associated with a customer - name, address, accounts, (types and
>> numbers).
>> What data do they hold on an account - transactions, owner, type,
>> restrictions
>> on opening one, who can operate it, get statements etc.?
>
> like a bank is going to give its competitors this kind of information.
>
> I think you are confusing open standards with open suicide.

I think you are just confused.

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant