[LINK] GPL, BSD, and NetBSD - why the GPL rocketed Linux to success

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Fri Sep 22 21:17:46 AEST 2006

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006, Kim Holburn wrote:
> Interesting article on why the GPL has made linux so successful.

You know, I don't think that has anything to do with it.

There's plenty of little companies using Linux and GPL software in
situations where they should be paying for it, but don't.
This happens quite often with "collaborative" projects with no
clear copyright ownership, as happens with the GPL.
Who would prosecute copyright violations?

(I could list a few of these that have occured with the project
I contribute to, Squid, but it wouldn't get me very far except
being reasonably angry. :)

I think it had more to do with the environment and the attitude of
the people working on Linux vs the BSDs.

Adrian