[LINK] DNA Coil

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Tue Sep 26 08:12:33 AEST 2006

On 26/09/2006, at 7:55 AM, Jan Whitaker wrote:

> At 03:46 AM 26/09/2006, Karl Auer wrote:
>> I'd like to see some *other* references, not just to Shakespeare. Did
>> anyone else, particularly any contemporary of Shakespeare, use the
>> word
>> to mean "turmoil of life"?
>
> on google, define coil yields nothing about turmoil, in life or
> otherwise
> but
> define mortal coil resulted in an interesting link citing the OED:
> http://www.wordcourt.com/archives.php?show=2004-11-03

The joys of Google, Definer of All...

And the OED is merely one book in a collection that delve into
English language history. Pedants usually have a dozen or so on their
bookshelves. Odd that the web tends to have a less-rich source of
information. 'Takeourword.com' is sometimes interesting, but on the
whole, early language discussions are hard to find. Anyone have any
other sources of interest to Linkers?

iT