[LINK] Environmental impact of web versus print

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Wed Sep 27 08:19:57 AEST 2006

On 27/09/2006, at 8:01 AM, rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au wrote:

> And there are basic design issues as well. It's almost impossible
> to get <stereotype> computer geeks </stereotype> to understand
> this, but typography matters - hugely. Sans-serif fonts reduce
> readability.

Old research. You'll note that contemporary studies on this subject
are split on this point. YOUNG readers prefer sans-serif, old readers
prefer serif. It depends upon your frame of reference, and what you
are used to seeing most of the time.

> Long columns reduce readability.

That'll be 'wide' columns... Long sentences reduce readability, but
this is not the issue here - it is generally accepted that a column
width no greater than the number of character in the alphabet is
optimal. However, there is a trade-off - this assumes that the reader
is not distracted by seeing a narrow column on a wide screen, which
reduces readability further. Swings and roundabouts, perception and
habit...

> "Ragged right" in short columns reduces readability.

I've not see this, but I'm sure that ragged left is worse. Justified
columns only work when there is sufficient width to avoid rivers (in
printing, 'rivers' are the obvious snaking spaces of white that are
found in poorly-hyphenated justified columns).

> White type on a dark background, ditto.

Not entirely - white type on a blue background was always thought to
be more readable.

But in all this, much is based on both habits and pre-conceived ideas
about what is good and bad in typography. Our reading habits
generally dictate what we are comfortable with.

> All of these lessons seem to go by the board when it comes to
> designing a Web page.

that's another matter entirely!

iT