[LINK] Environmental impact of web versus print

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Wed Sep 27 10:18:10 AEST 2006

On 27/09/2006, at 9:34 AM, Pilcher, Fred wrote:

> The research, again IIRC, didn't support that. Damn I wish I still
> had it!

And I should have been more diligent in keeping my research on this
topic. My university education was (wasted) spent looking at
perception and cognitive processes, and the world has moved on a good
deal since then (I hope that we all have!).

> It was about printed material, and I and my colleagues often
> wondered whether everything in it was relevant to screen-based
> stuff. I'd love to see any more recent research comparing the two
> if any knows of any.

I think that part of the problem with readability studies is that
they are all based on no-longer contemporary perceptions of the day.
Some of these:

Print-based media has been the primary interface for learning written
language. Older print-based media had limitations in rendering
capability.

Print-based media has been held back by the available technology,
inks and paper quality.

More-recent comparisons involving computer technology for cognitive
processes are flawed in that modern high-resolution flat-screen
devices were once extremely rare, but now more common-place. Further,
pixel counts on screens have been woefully low, and the pixels
themselves have not, until recently, involved anti-aliasing to
improve the definition of type.

Plus, screen brightness has had a major impact on readability. A
comparison between a printed page and a computer screen has, up until
recently, been no contest, since most computer screens have had poor
brightness and contrast compared with dark ink on light paper. This
is slowly changing.

Computer typography is now much-improved, too - and better typefaces
have been developed expressly for computers. This began in the days
of OCRA etc, but Apple brought it into a new era with their 'New
York', 'Monaco', 'Geneva' and 'Chicago' fonts (note the theme), which
were optimised for computer screens, and not print. The afore-
mentioned anti-aliasing of pixel edges has helped tremendously -
offering better 'hints' as to the actual shape of a character.

Interestingly, you'll find that most younger people using computers
will, by default, use sans-serif fonts. Though I'm not sure why.

An observation: on my computer screen (and I'm not what I'd classify
as 'young'), I have nine active windows, and not one of them displays
a serif font. I'd be hard-pressed to find one, unless I open my DTP
apps and find something that I designed expressly for print, and for
an 'older' demographic, to boot. For me, font usage depends entirely
upon market audience, and output rendering capability (regardless of
being digital or ink).

For me, this all began many years ago when one of my teachers
dogmatically proclaimed 'It is universally known that serif fonts are
more readable than sans-serif fonts'. A debate ensued, which I'm sure
continues today.

iT