[LINK] Environmental impact of web versus print

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Wed Sep 27 12:16:17 AEST 2006

On 2006 Sep 27, at 11:06 AM, Howard Lowndes wrote:
> Kim Holburn wrote:
>> I'd just like to add my comment to that:
>> Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrggghhhh!!!!!!  Luckily I have found Firefox with
>> "adblock plus" and "Nuke anything enhanced" extensions otherwise I
>> wouldn't be able to stand to read most modern newspaper sites.
>> What is it with these single narrow column with animated ads at
>> the side pages that are in almost all newspaper sites these days?
>
> It's called advertising - otherwise known as revenue generation -
> it's what the media is about,

There's lots of ways of making money.  You could sell seeds by mail.
This is an attempt to make money from the internet.  There have been
many attempts like for instance pop-ups, spyware, dancing rabbit
animations etc.

Google manages to do advertising in a remarkably inoffensive way, so
it is possible.

The argument about advertising doesn't really hold water.

We were told that with pay TV you didn't have advertising only you do
don't you.  Why do I pay upwards of $20 to go to the cinema only to
have to watch a bunch of ads?  This is just opportunism.  The
argument that advertising is necessary for websites and TV is fatuous.

> or do you still subscribe to the idea that the media is about un-
> biased news reporting and investigative journalism...

What kind of question is that?  It's the wrong question based on
wrong assumptions all the way through.  Still, what do you mean to
imply by still?  I mentioned news sites but many other websites do
this.  I wasn't talking content, only presentation.

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant

                           -- Lloyd Biggle, Jr. Analog, Apr 1961