[LINK] Environmental impact of web versus print

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Wed Sep 27 12:16:49 AEST 2006

Karl Auer wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 08:19 +1000, Ivan Trundle wrote:
>
>>> this, but typography matters - hugely. Sans-serif fonts reduce
>>> readability.
>>>
>> Old research. You'll note that contemporary studies on this subject
>> are split on this point. YOUNG readers prefer sans-serif, old readers
>> prefer serif.
>>

> Where is the new research? There is a big difference between what people
> prefer and what they actually read more easily. Young people may prefer
> a sans-serif font, but is their comprehension or retention better? I
> don't know, but it certainly isn't necessarily the case. Serif adds
> redundancy to most fonts, and in general, redundancy assists
> comprehension and retention.

I agree that there's a lack of new research, Karl.

>> But in all this, much is based on both habits and pre-conceived ideas
>> about what is good and bad in typography. Our reading habits
>> generally dictate what we are comfortable with.
>>

> Again, comfortable isn't necessarily the same thing as comprehensible or
> retainable.

Actually, "comfort" is highly correlated with retention when objective
measures are applied.

The old research looked at how much the eyes moved when reading a set
amount of text, on the hypothesis that more eye movement was more
tiring, therefore would inhibit comprehension and retention.

Less eye movement was correlated with better comprehension.

RC