[LINK] Leakage Problem Means Cards Will Never Be Secure

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Thu Sep 28 11:41:45 AEST 2006

At 09:02 AM 28/09/2006, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
><brd>
>This guy seems to be a bit of an extremist. The things I have a problem
>with are:
>
>"impossible to ever completely secure any smart card" and "there is no
>truly secure computer environment and probably never will be" So? it's
>also impossible to guarantee that you won't get hit by a meteor when you
>go out. Everything is a matter of risk.

Actually you have more chance of being hit my a meteorite than you have by
a bus.

And there is more change you will have a car accident than be killed or
injured in a plane (even if hijacked by terrorists!)

And there is more chance you will choke on a mouthful of drink than you
will come across a terrorist act.

And there is more chance that you will be subject to laws you didn't know
existed than to a drink driving or other motoring charge!

>And in the case of the access card, the data they are considering putting
>on the card (either in the face or in the chip) is no different from (or
>in fact less than) that already likely to be in their wallet next to
>the  Access Card.

Yes and often that information is too much!

Once you get someones wallet, you have names, addresses, dates of birth, ID
numbers and - well everything else is just a phone call away.

>The back end systems that support the card will be subject to the same
>constraints as any other government system with respect to security,
>privacy, data matching etc

We don't have a tort of privacy right in Australia :)

Yet.