[LINK] Find me in the whitepages.com.au directory

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Tue Apr 3 11:05:19 AEST 2007

On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 06:28:02PM +1000, Rick Welykochy wrote:
> Further to this observation, do other Linkers find that the white
> pages search service generally is inaccurate, returning far to many
> non-specific results in an attempt to be "friendly" and usually not
> very good at finding what you actually want? After a few frustrating
> minutes with what amounts to be a below-par search engine, I
> invariably give up and use Google to find the address or phone
> number. Works every time. Oh, the irony!

my analysis of the whitepages.com.au *AND* yellowpages.com.au sites is
that Telstra/Sensis are far more interested in gathering data about
vistors via web-bugs than they are in either providing the requested
information to the visitor OR providing the online directory service
that their customers are paying for.

the same is true of all Sensis sites. e.g. the Melbourne Trading Post
web site was bad before Sensis took it over, and is abysmal now - with
massive overuse of javascript (particularly annoying is the use of
javascript links rather than ordinary html links, so you can't open item
details in a separate tab).

i use them only as a last resort.

craig

--