[LINK] Looking for some advice from the link 'brain'

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Tue Apr 3 16:04:30 AEST 2007

Karl Auer wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 07:48 +1000, Tom Worthington wrote:
>
>>National Archives of Australia convert MS Office documents to ODF
>>[...]
>>This is described in "How digital records are transferred to the
>>Archives' digital repository"
>><http://naa.gov.au/recordkeeping/preservation/digital/digital_repository.html>.
>>
>>You might want to take this approach[...]
>

> Or not. You need to be very aware when archiving of *why* you are
> archiving and *who you are archiving for*. These things then inform how
> you do your archiving and what criteria it has to meet.
>
> The NAA has a very clearly articulated set of rationales, and they are
> almost certainly NOT useful (or largely not) for anyone else.
>
> Just one example: They archive film to videotape, which means an
> immediate loss of over 90% of the information contained on colour cinema
> film. More if you count the information stored in soundtracks and in the
> bearer itself (perforations, interframe gaps etc). They also archive
> film by moving nitrate film to polyester film - which is a lossy,
> analogue process and while polyester is longer-lived, it is by no means
> immortal.

My father converted our 1960s/70s 8mm homemovies to videotape when the
film was deteriorating badly in the 1980s. Much of the content has been
lost.

I am now wondering how well the modern MiniDV tape will last. I have
been producing edited versions in Vorbis/Theora/OGG - should I look at
DVD for preservation purposes?

> The NAA deliberately avoid conversions (they call them migrations),
> again for very good reasons, but for reasons that are almost certainly
> wrong from most other enterprises' point of view.

getting back to the original question, in addition to the CASA Audit
requirements, there are ASIC,Workers Compensation/Oc Health and Safety
and Tax,Financial
record keeping requirements.

There are possibly also CASA requirements for Logs/etc to be accessible
not locked away in computers. This is apparently becoming a big
component in court cases - making data/documents available for
presentation in legal proceedings and in a worst case scenario coronial
inquests.

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz