[LINK] Microsoft is dead

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Sat Apr 7 21:09:30 AEST 2007

Jan Whitaker wrote:

> Ironically, Microsoft unintentionally helped create Ajax. The x in Ajax
> is from the XMLHttpRequest object, which lets the browser communicate
> with the server in the background while displaying a page.
[SNIP]

> - Does that mean that ms holds the IP rights for that command? Are we
> just waiting for them to assert those 'rights'?

Interesting point. XMLHttpRequest is an object in Javascript. JS is
full of objects, like Document (the actual HTML text), Form, Event,
etc. etc.

As to whether or not MS has a software patent on the XMLHttpRequest
object would take someone looking it up somehwere. Given the
state of software patents in the USA, I wouldn't doubt it.

cheers
rickw