[LINK] Microsoft is dead [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Tue Apr 10 12:29:27 AEST 2007

On 10/04/2007, at 11:19 AM, Paul Brooks wrote:

> Carl Makin wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>> There is a preference setting under the "advanced" tab that says
>> "copy files to ITunes music folder when adding to library".  You
>> can uncheck that and it will leave the files where they are and
>> use them there.
>>

>> Carl.
> Unfortunately, you don't get to even look for that sort of setting
> until iTunes has cheerfully automagically catalogued, copied, and
> filled the HD when first executed, dragging the machine into the
> glacial lane for an hour or two, and the unfortunate user has then
> had to dig around to find out where all the %^$%^$$% free space got
> used up while the machine complains about low/no free space left.
> (then, if one has diligently established a backup regime, the
> backup system starts barfing a day or two later).
>
> None of these are OS-specific design faults IMHO, rather badly
> targetted default application and settings.

I prefer Apple's logic in this: firstly, you can choose where your
music files sit (there is a default path, but it can be changed), and
secondly, it is much simpler to maintain a backup of the music folder
this way, especially if you wish to treat music backups differently
(I do, because mine is very large, but changes little, and sometimes
I wish to export my music library elsewhere - this is more easily
achieved when al files are in one location. It is also possible to
point iTunes at a shared network device - very handy, and more so
when using Windows via either Bootcamp or Parallels.

iT