[LINK] Assault on Consumer Protection on the Net

Alan L Tyree alan at austlii.edu.au
Thu Apr 12 13:17:02 AEST 2007

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 13:09:18 +1000
Roger Clarke <Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au> wrote:

> At 12:00 +1000 12/4/07, Howard Lowndes wrote:
> http://www.asic.gov.au/asic/asic.nsf/byheadline/Review+of+the+Electronic+Funds+Transfer+Code+of+Conduct+2007?openDocument
>
> >I went to this site and found approx 6 submissions, but none were
> >submissions from any industry players and hence there is no
> >demonstration of the assertions made below.  Where are the industry
> >submissions that are encouraging change to the EFT?
>
> They were submitted prior to the preparation of the consultation
> paper, and are reflected in the text of that document.
>
> It would also appear that the submissions from industry may have been
> comments made at meetings, rather than formal submissions supported
> by evidence, analysis and/or reasoned argument.

I think that is true. And the consultation paper itself was prepared by
a law firm (at least primarily by a law firm) and they put in stuff
that they originated. Indeed, I believe that the "security" issue was
put in by a law firm rather than by any formal submissions. Of course,
the firm in question does a lot of business with the banks.

> It's common practice among industry associations to avoid the
> information that they provide to regulators becoming public - and
> most regulators have been sufficiently captured by the organisations
> that they're supposed to be regulating that they go along with this
> subterfuge.
>
> For that reason, my letter to ASIC submitting the paper included this:
>
> "I note that your announcement pages failed to adopt the norm of
> declaring that all submissions will be made publicly available unless
> formally requested otherwise, and encouraging all persons and
> organisations making submissions to request suppression of
> information only where it is clearly justifiable, and structuring
> their submissions so that the information that it is requested be
> suppressed is separate from the publishable information.
>
> "I urge that the Review adopt the above policy, notwithstanding the
> fact that it was not pre-advertised.
>
> "I further request your advice in relation to whether any submissions
> have been received, or representations made that are of the nature of
> submissions to the Review, that are not being placed on the site."
>

> --
> Roger Clarke
> http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/
>
> Xamax Consultancy Pty Ltd      78 Sidaway St, Chapman ACT 2611
> AUSTRALIA Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916
> mailto:Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
> http://www.xamax.com.au/
>
> Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National
> University Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program
> University of Hong Kong Visiting Professor in the Cyberspace Law &
> Policy Centre      Uni of NSW

Tel: +61 2 4782 2670            Mobile: +61 427 486 206
Fax: +61 2 4782 7092            FWD: 615662