[LINK] Nigerian students power up their laptops

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Fri Apr 13 22:51:44 AEST 2007

This article has nine pictures of a school in Nigeria
that is handing out those laptops.

http://news.com.com/2300-1041_3-6175025-1.html?tag=newsmap

   Khaled Hassounah, director of Nicholas Negroponte's One Laptop Per
   Child (OLPC) program in Africa and the Middle East, has spent the
   last year touring schools in Nigeria. He and his team chose a school
   10 miles outside Nigeria's capital, Abuja, to deploy the company's
   first child-friendly laptops in the region.

   These 10- and 11-year-old students are lucky to share three books
   per academic subject, a clock, bell, wall calendar, and science
   equipment consisting of a lever. Students in less fortunate schools
   might share three books total. With the XO Children's Machine, OLPC
   hopes young students will have the tools to shape their own education.

If you wish to jump to the chase, here is a pic of kids at their
desks with their laptops:

http://news.com.com/2300-1041_3-6175025-8.html?tag=ne.gall.pg

The "XO" user interface is discussed on the last page (of nine)
and also provides a link to a Mac OS X emulator for same:

http://www.edgargonzalez.com/2006/11/21/emulating-the-olpc-xo-on-a-mac-osx/

Aside:

I enjoyed the first reader comment on the interface emulator:

"Yo soy Mexicano y me encata tacos y burritos."

Hrmmmm .... "I am Mexican and I love tacos and burritos".
(Although babelfish translates burritos as young donkeys, which is
a bit of a worry)

cheers
rickw