[LINK] When private cops get out of hand...

rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Sun Apr 15 10:20:33 AEST 2007

Linkers,

In 2006 and into the first part of this year, the music industry tried a
normal market-based response to declining sales by reducing its prices.
The result: increased CD sales volumes. Alas, the total industry
revenues still fell - which leaves the industry able to pull the wool
over journalists' eyes with the usual "because of piracy" claim, as in
this story:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21555941-2,00.html
"Fed up with falling sales, the industry ... has been discussing tough
new guidelines"

And the industry's response to this?
> "Under this system, people who illegally download songs would be given
> three written warnings by their Internet service provider.
>
> If they continued to illegally download songs, their internet account
> would be suspended or terminated.
>
> Those with dial-up internet could face having their phone disconnected.

So now we have a private company deciding that it should be empowered to
decide who has the right to a telephone line.

RC