[LINK] The Ethics (!) of Dodgy Web Designers

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Wed Apr 18 17:28:30 AEST 2007

On 18/04/2007, at 3:31 PM, Howard Lowndes wrote:

> Ivan Trundle wrote:
>> On 18/04/2007, at 2:44 PM, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
>>>
>>> I hate the car analagy....
>> Ditto - there is scant connecting points in the comparison. A car,
>> these days, is effectively a consumer device like a TV or fridge:
>> it is bought to do a task, and is rarely interfered with by users.
>> Nor does it demand that users install or modify components
>> incessantly, etc.
>> The analogy is a poor vehicle (pardon the pun) for demonstrating
>> that website development firms need to hire programmers that know
>> what they are doing.
>
> It does become relevant if you are looking to hire the services of
> a suitable mechanic for that breed of car.  Think a Rolls, Porche,
> Ferrari in Albury, say.

...so I need to find someone to maintain and/or repair my vehicle.
That someone almost certainly won't be the person who built it. And
if it needs fixing, maintaining, or securing, I can call upon experts
outside of the factory that built the car. If I make a poor choice,
and buy an inferior product, I might expect to use these outside
experts more often.

iT