Formats vs Standards Re: [LINK] Fwd: vip-l: Fwd: Article: Judges Reject Appeals From Webcasters

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Fri Apr 20 14:03:20 AEST 2007

Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
> OGG seems pretty widely used....Windows and I-Pod users recognise the
> word - could call it a standard.
>
> Not sure whether Vorbis and Theora open format's yet fall into the
> standard category. ie whether anyone else other than the proponent of
> the format has adopted it.

Actually OGG is just a container format.  What you are referring to as
OGG is actually OGG/Vorbis (meaning Vorbis content in an OGG container).
  OGG can however contain Theora too.

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor