Linux on LaptopsRe: [LINK] (no subject)

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Mon Apr 23 13:01:50 AEST 2007

Howard Lowndes wrote:

> Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>> Interesting, I am testing out Kunbuntu/Edgy at the moment for DVT

that should have been DVB-T

>> support. It was suggested that this would work better under last
>> week's release of Feisty. Haven't tried this yet.
>>
>> But from my previous experience with Knoppix and Unbuntu (Breezy
>> Badger)  the challenge with using linux is the security!
>

> M, could you be more specific here.  Ubuntu uses sudo by default so
> where is there a security problem?

the problem is that there is security!

[For the uninitiatiated
a)Breezy, came before edgy which was superseded by Feisty version of
Ubuntu last week
b) Gnome and KDE are two rival desktops for Linux]

When you try running applications on KDE or GNOME - with the default
user  setup - they do not get control of the devices. The proper way to
address this is probably to give appropriate access to appropriate
processes,  but I just felt this wasn't worth the effort on a single
user laptop.

There is a menu option to edit the menu entries, to run applications
under root then the control works fine.

Also, it seems that with Kubuntu (edgy)  if you open a terminal for line
commands you have to set to sudo.

In Breezy under Gnome sudo seemed to be the default - I did document the
camera/video control stuff at
<http://www.ramin.com.au/linux/linux-log.html>

>> I guess there is a way to give your "users" access to firewire etc.
>> But on a laptop, this isn't really necessary. I found running
>> applications such as KB3 (to burn CDs) and Kino (using the firewire
>> port) under root work fine. My guess is a similar problem will occur
>> with controlling other hardware.

and digiKam software which downloads photos via the USB port also fits
into this category

>> Which TV tuner are you using?
>>
>> You might need to download the optional DVB modules via the add
>> applications/programs - menu option.

might add that I had to load and use the synaptic app manager to do this...

--
Marghanita da Cruz
http://www.ramin.com.au/linux