[LINK] News: 'New mobile phones will double as credit cards'

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Sat Apr 28 19:22:57 AEST 2007

At 01:08 PM 28/04/2007, Rick Welykochy wrote:
>>"This will be fantastic for retailers, fantastic for banks and
>>consumers won't have to carry an extra card. The mobile phone will
>>end up being everything."
>
>It won't be fantastic for the environment. What is the average lifetime
>of a mobile phone right now? How often do people replace them? My guess
>is far too often as it is.

Actually, my first mobile was in 1988.  I had it for a couple of
years.  Worked well, very limited coverage!  Then the system changed.

The second one I had started in 1993 and lasted till 1998.  Only ever
had two batteries for it.  Never seemed to go flat.

Third phone was a Motorola - still got it - and the 15 batteries
(thin, thick and obese versions) Most of the batteries are
stuffed.  The phone is good though.

Fourth mobile was given to me - actually given a dozen.  Nokia
5110's.  They still run my pre-paid sims and one is connected as an
SMS gateway.  I had a dozen batteries, most were in bad condition
when I got them so I built a reconditioner and all the batteries last
several days now on standby.  They run about 6 hours talk time.

Got the Sony Erricson Z1010 exactly 2 years and 4 days ago.  Being in
a black spot is bad for the batteries.  They run flat at home in
several hours trying to poll towers. Out in the field, (ie France,
London, around Sydney generally) they last about a day if I also
spend time talking.  On standby I seem to get about 3 or four
days.  I have four spare batteries, and a USB charger that these days
I just leave connected to the laptop.  After all, if roaming with
laptop and mobile they tend to work together anyway.

I've also got a Nokia 3650 which has one tiny battery.  It lasts
about two weeks without a charge.  About 2 days of average talk
time.  With blue tooth running all the time too.

I'm looking for an upgrade presently.  I'd like something with SD
card, and lots of onboard memory, the ability to record calls, video
calls, and MMS, and of course one of the most important things to me,
USB/Blue Tooth connectivity giving me the ability to upload and
download MMS/SMS messages, act as a modem and fax modem.

Haven't found one yet.