[LINK] News: 'New mobile phones will double as credit cards'

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Sun Apr 29 13:35:10 AEST 2007

These **** services have been in place for awhile, with the * being
the newest additions. I have the **** ones on my very cheap phone.

At 01:04 PM 29/04/2007, Geoffrey Ramadan wrote:
>In the not to distant future this "mobile phone" will be able to:-
>- via NFC
>     - make cash-less payments (parking, news papers, etc)
>    - use as electronic entry ticket (send to you phone)
>    - make payment via mobile phone
>    - enable data transfer between devices (images, sound, mpeg)
>****- play games
>****- use as calculator
>****- Media player/recorder (
>- Take high quality photographs
>- Take high quality movies
>*- iPTV
>*- Digital Radio
>****- Clock/Alarm
>****- answering machine
>****- SMS
>*- e-mail
>*- browse
>- Decode barcodes (via camera) - use to provide consumer information
>(via 2D codes) or have embedded URL, make purchases, barcode catalogs etc.
>*- have inbuilt GPS
>* (how is this diff from GPS?) - Provide real time location based services
>*- Memory Drive (USB/Bluetooth/NFC)
>- connect to your wearable health monitor and transfer data to your
>Health Service Provider (HSP)
>- Provide duress alarm facilities (with GPS)
>*- Video phone
>- Incorporate WiFi (for location based sevices - where is Dr X)
>- Localised Communicator (Use VoIP when within buildings via WiFi)
>Future domestic phones could be replaced by WiFi interface.
>- universal remote controller (also controlled by speech recognition
>technology)
>- video projector
>- virtual keyboard projector and sensor
>Adding Zigbee radios would also enable communications to
>    - interface to head up displays
>    - mesh with other devices within rooms - voting, gaming, etc?
>    - sensors and monitors (health, building, alrams etc)
>and of course
>****( I think you mean a voice communicator) - use as a mobile phone
>- etc I am sure you can come up with more features.
>
>I think it might be time we come up with another name for such a device.

There is a name: It's called a 3G or PDA.

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed,
there is no plant.' - JW, April 2005