[LINK] Australian consultation on proposed OOXML standard

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Fri Aug 3 09:01:53 AEST 2007

At 11:39 AM 26/07/2007, I wrote (was: "Re: Fwd: and it's Australia's
turn on August 9"):
>... using a Wiki to help prepare input on how the UK should vote on
>ISO ballot on Office Open XML/OOXML ( DIS 29500)
><http://www.xmlopen.org/ooxml-wiki/>. I have sent a message to
>Standards Australia asking which committee is looking after it and
>that they might do something similar (I am the ACS representative on
>the Council of SA). ...

I had a telephone call from SA on Wednesday to say that there was no
committee considering OOXML. Instead SA are hosting a forum on the
proposed Draft International Standard ISO/IEC 29500, "Information
technology - Office Open XML file formats" standard in Sydney on 9 August.

The Forum is limited to 30 persons and seats can be reserved by email
to: michael.langdon (a) standards.org.au.

Those who can not attend the forum can send comments to:
alistair.tegart (a) standards.org.au

Just make clear, my view as an IT professional is that there is no
need to adopt OOXML as an international standard
<http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2007/08/australia-to-decide-on-ooxml-stanadard.html>.
However, I am not the nominated the Australian Computer Society
expert on the relevant committee and the ACS may form a different view.

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                http://www.tomw.net.au/
Visiting Fellow, ANU      Blog: http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/atom.xml