[LINK] Australian consultation on proposed OOXML standard

Glen Turner gdt at gdt.id.au
Fri Aug 3 13:42:29 AEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 10:07 +1000, Howard Lowndes wrote:

> Have the ACS stated what their official position is?

Good question.

My view, by the way, is that the national interest isn't served
by ratifying OOXML as an international standard. There was a lot
of national interest in having Microsoft document it's new file
format, but that is amply achieved by the ECMA's publication
of the OOXML specification. It would suit the national interest
if Microsoft's limited patent license were less narrow, but
proceeding down the international standards tracks won't made
it any more broad.

> It strikes me that as this is an SA forum and not an SA committee it has
> no formal position within the SA determination on this matter.

Last I checked it's also lacking an agenda.