[LINK] should .au domain names be traded?

David Goldstein wavey_one at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 3 20:14:54 AEST 2007

Hi all,

auDA's Names Policy Panel is examining whether .au names should be able to be traded, and if so, what possible scenarios could exist to enable this. The Issues Paper at http://auda.org.au/pdf/2007npp-issues-paper.pdf outlines some of the pros and cons of allowing domain name trading. The issues are addressed from point 7.15 on in the Issues Paper.

The minutes of the last meeting capture the discussion in regards to this, notably, what issues were discussed. See http://auda.org.au/2007npp/2007npp-19062007/

What I would like to know is what do people on the Link list think of the idea? Should domain names be able to be traded? If not, why not? If so, should there be any restrictions apart from existing eligibility requirements?

I know a couple of people on the list have made submissions, but I'm particular keen to hear on other points of view, or if these people want to reinforce their points of view! I'm happy to receive correspondence either on or off list.

Regards,
David

PS See http://technewsreview.com.au/ for the latest on internet news around the world - domain names, governance, censorship, cybercrime, spam, privacy, internet use and more!