[LINK] re: Australia: Networked Nation - talk to ACS NQ AGM 7 Feb

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Tue Aug 7 09:46:16 AEST 2007

I wrote Fri, 2 Feb 1996 23:21:52 +1100
<http://mailman.anu.edu.au/pipermail/link/1996-February/023403.html>:

>... this "future history" contains some comment
>on the IT and telecommunications policies of
>both the current Government and opposition,
>contesting the Federal election. ...

Be careful what you put online
<http://www.tomw.net.au/twadd3.htm> as you never
know who will quote it, ten years later before another election:

"In 1996, the then President of the Australian
Computer Society, Mr Tom Worthington — whom I am
pleased to see is here today—gave a speech in
which he envisioned the world 10 years on in 2005.

In this tongue-in-cheek vision, he predicted the
winner of the 1996 election would de-regulate the
Telecommunications industry; I am happy to report
his skills as a seer were spot on when we were
elected a year later, and did in fact get the Telstra privatisation underway.

Tom also predicted that Telstra and Optus would
rollout a significant cable network for Pay TV; and they certainly have.

And he predicted that competition from Internet
voice applications would start to destroy the
long distance monopoly the telcos had enjoyed.

Again, Tom was on the money. ..."

From: Developing a National ICT Capability,
Address to ACS Council Breakfast, Senator the Hon
Helen Coonan, Minister for Communications,
Information Technology and the Arts, Deputy
Leader of the Government in the Senate, Canberra,
Friday 25 May 2007:
<http://www.minister.dcita.gov.au/media/speeches/developing_a_national_ict_capability>.

;-)

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                http://www.tomw.net.au/
Visiting Fellow, ANU      Blog: http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/atom.xml