[LINK] digital TV conversion - psychology of the consumer

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Wed Aug 8 11:17:49 AEST 2007

Craig Sanders wrote:
[snip]
>> So the price is immaterial. I don't see the STB as too expensive, it's just
>> that there's other stuff to do; so why bother? Why would I give money to
>> someone for a product I don't want?
>>

> because you want to be able to continue using the TV set you bought after the
> analog signal is discontinued?

...Indeed. And that will be the sole reason for doing so.

But get this: if the digitisation turns out to be an utter disaster, if
it has to be delayed because not enough people care, then doesn't it
cast the policy itself into doubt? The policy, it should be remembered,
was not in any way a response to citizen demand. It's a "for your own
good" policy.
> technology moves on and scarce resources are reallocated. that's why,
> for example, town planners don't waste much public space in roads and
> towns on drinking troughs for horses and camels any more.

When we're talking about a consumer product, I'm not convinced that
government edict is a good way to measure obsolescence.

RC