[LINK] It's baaack---net filtering

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Fri Aug 10 11:21:17 AEST 2007

Jan Whitaker wrote:

> It must be an election year. The government (and Stephen Conroy) is
> 'saving' children all over the place! Oh! My! Lock them up! <shock>
> <horror> <the sky is falling, says Chicken Little>.
>
> How in the world will they provide DUAL -DSL to homes to provide a
> 'safe' channel for the kids and a real channel for the >16s? Or will
> everyone in the family be 'saved'? I'm sure the audience spoken to last
> night will be happy with the 'one size fits all' version, so I guess
> that means that the ISPs will be required to spend the pittance they get
> of the shared $40mill to provide another unwanted/unused service option
> ('clean' channels) so that a minority can be bought for an election.

Let's not forget that *any* system of filtering is most easily
circumvented by young computer savvy kids. This has been demonstrated
time and time again.

It is wrong to assume that net filtering systems can be maintained
in a secure manner by parents.

cheers
rickw

--
Rick Welykochy || Praxis Services

This is the first age that's paid much attention to the future, which is a
little ironic since we may not have one.
      -- Arthur C Clarke